CROSS – Why did Jesus Have to Die?
How do you think a broken relationship can be restored?’
There is no doubt that evil exists in the world. Evil and self-centredness can also be found in all of us. The Bible tells us that the consequence of evil is pain, suffering and death.
• “For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.” Romans 3:23
• “It’s your sins that have cut you off from God.” Isaiah 59:2
• “For the wages of sin is death.” Romans 6:23
The reality is that we cannot solve the problem of sin ourselves:
• “By ourselves, we are spiritually dead because of our disobedience and sins.” Ephesians 2:1
• Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave of sin.” John 8:34
• Jesus said, “For you can do nothing without me.” John 15:5
The Bible tells us that even though we have walked away from God,
He still loves us and has stepped into this world to solve the problem of sin, suffering and death:
• “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16
• “But God’s mercy is so abundant, and his love for us is so great, that while we were spiritually dead in our disobedience he brought us to life with Christ. It is by God’s grace that you have been saved.” Ephesians 2:4,5
• “But because of our sins he was wounded, beaten because of the evil we did. We are healed by the punishment he suffered, made whole by the blows he received.” Isaiah 53:5
Jesus accomplished something incredible for us on the Cross!
• Friends with God “We were God’s enemies, but he made
us his friends through the death of his Son. Now that we are God’s friends, how much more will we be saved by Christ’s life!” Romans 5:10
• A new person “This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” 2 Corinthians 5:7
How does the idea that Jesus died for you personally make you feel?
1 John 1.7
1 Corinthians 15.57
BOOKS TO READ
• The Cross of Christ — John Stott
• He Chose the Nails: What God Did to Win Your Heart — Max Lucado
• Steps to Christ — Ellen White
If Jesus died on the Cross for you, so that your relationship with God could be restored, would you like to accept what He has done for you?