The most visible and dramatic of the addictions is substance abuse. Alcohol and other soft or hard drugs seem to offer relief to vulnerable people. Instead of meeting our emotional needs, they can lock us into an addiction cycle that is dangerous and destructive.
“All addictions are harmful, but the most deadly and dangerous involve substance abuse.”
Drs Minirth, Meier & Arterburn , The Complete Life Encyclopedia
“Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise.”
Proverbs 20:1, NIV Bible
SOME WARNING SIGNS
1. Deterioration in family relationships; withdrawal from family activities and responsibilities.
2. Deterioration in commitment to career, work quality.
3. Negative personality changes, including listlessness, depression,
nervousness, talkativeness, lying.
4. Changes in sleep patterns—insomnia, sleeping-in late, sleeping at
odd times, reclusiveness.
5. Legal and moral problems—thefts from home, shoplifting,